By Nate Blythe
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – UCF won its third match in a row, tallying a 4-3 victory against Furman on Wednesday at the UCF Tennis Complex. The Knights notched singles victories by junior Sofia Baptista, sophomore Cortney Cesarini and freshman Monica Matias after UCF took the doubles point.
The tandem of junior Clare Mendell and Batista started off the Knights with a 6-3 victory at No. 2. UCF took a 1-0 advantage in the match with a 6-4 win at No. 3 by Cesarini and Matias.
With the momentum from doubles, the Knights tallied two straight-set wins by Matias and Baptista to bring the advantage to 3-1. Matias dispatched her opponent with a 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 4, while a 6-4, 7-5 victory at No. 4 was recorded by Baptista at No. 5.
Furman cut the Knights’ lead to 3-2 before Cesarini at No. 2 finished off the third set against Alex Moreno-Kaste, 6-0,. The Bradenton, Fla., native won the first frame 6-4, before falling 6-3 in the second.
After the match was decided, the Paladins won a super tiebreaker at No. 6, 10-6, to complete the contest.
The match was originally scheduled for noon, but was moved up two hours due to the threat of inclement weather in the central Florida area.
UCF continues a five-match homestand on Wednesday at 2 p.m. against Tulsa. The first 50 fans in attendance will receive a UCF tank top and pizza
Furman vs UCF
Mar 11, 2015 at Orlando, Fla.
(UCF Tennis Complex)
UCF 4, Furman 3
1. Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 6-0, 7-5
2. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) def. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
3. Blair Martin (FUR) def. Clare Mendell (UCF) 6-2, 7-5
4. Monica Matias (UCF) def. Karlee Bryde (FUR) 6-3, 7-5
5. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Harper Caswell (FUR) 6-4, 7-5
6. Alejandra Gil (FUR) def. Annika Hepp (UCF) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
1. Caroline Eberhart/Kennan Johnson (UCF) vs. Ansley Speaks/Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) unfinished
2. Clare Mendell/Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Blair Martin/Alejandra Gil (FUR) 6-3
3. Monica Matias/Cortney Cesarini (UCF) def. Karlee Bryde/Joan van Lochem (FUR) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (uf,1,2); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)